Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair

I was given a 1 1/2 year old Whirlpool fridge. It worked

Customer Question

I was given a 1 1/2 year old Whirlpool fridge. It worked fine at my friends house. Now it is at my house and it is freezing things in the fridge area, in strange spots , like the middle of the door and the lower left salad drawer. I have tried to lower the temp, but it is computerized with 3 little loghted dots and I havent figured out how to make it lower even after reading directions and trying several times. The people who brought it over here had it laying on its side in a truck, could that have messed it up? I have also tried turning it off overnight and starting over. I dont know what to do, I am on social security and cannot afford a reoairman or to be losing food. Can you help me?Thank you model wrt318fzdw01 serial vs54496028. The ice maker is not hooked up, and the freezer was also too cold, it has been turned to 'min' and is now ok.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

Please give me a few minutes to prepare your answer as I may need to look up part numbers, schematics, etc; depending on your question.

Thank you for your patience.

No laying the unit down would cause it not to cool at all if it damaged the unit, it would not cause it to get too cold so that is not the issue. That is units cooling system is controlled by a computer that gets resistances sent to it from two sensors one located in the freezer and the other located in the refrigerator, the computer reads these resistances sent from the sensors and determines the temperature of the unit and cycles the cooling system on and off accordingly, when the sensors send the wrong information the unit will run too much causing it to do what you are describing get way too cold. You will need to replace the sensors. Click here for sensor locations

The parts are below:

Refrigerator Thermistor

Part #: W10383615 - click here

Freezer Thermistor Part #: W10556397- click here

We are on the honor system here. Since I have given you the initial answer please rate/vote by selecting a star at the top of the screen and any follow up questions you may have will be free of charge and of course I will continue to help if needed.

Rating me will does not affect what you agreed to pay for the question and will not have any affect on what you have already been billed for unless you request a phone call.

Feel free to get back to me with any questions you may have but in the meantime I would appreciate you going ahead and rating the answer as this is the only way I get compensated for my time, thanks!

After you have rated/voted the answer you will be sent an email with a link that will allow you to get back to me for any follow up questions free of charge it will not close the question.

Please Know: I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and did not receive that money. I am just a technician on the site that is here to help assist you and have nothing to do with billing.

When you rate/vote my answer you have to click on the star vote/rate system at the top of your screen. Typing I give you a 5 star rating in a message does absolutely nothing to help me you have to click on the rating system.

Thank You!

Tips are not expected but are greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

you can try the following settings first and give it 24 hours to adjust to the new settings but if after that it is still freezing things in the refrigerator you will need to have the sensors replaced.

First set the air flow control in the freezer to recommended - click here for image

Then make sure the electronic temp control is also set on recommended - click here for image