Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

Whirlpool Duet w/ steam Washing Machine - model WFW97HEXL2

Customer Question

Whirlpool Duet w/ steam Washing Machine - model WFW97HEXL2Had 2 bath mats in on WhitestWhites setting - machine quit displaying something about resetting the power button. Tried that and it stayed stuck that it was canceling cycle and wait for the door to unlock . . . never budged. Finally got it to release door and cancel cycle by holding power and pause buttons simultaneously for a LONG time. Tried putting it on Rinse, Drain, Spin to finish and cycle never started but displayed again, canceling cycle, wait for door to unlock and it never released. Had to again hold both power and pause buttons for a long time.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

Unplug the machine for 15 minutes to reset the controls. If all the water has drained out, that should restore normal operation. Let me know what happens, please.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
unplugged for 15 minutes. Then tried to set a new cycle . . . it looked like it was going to go but stayed on "sensing load" mode. So I pressed PAUSE - no response. Pressed POWER - no response except displaying Canceling Cycle Preparing to unlock door, please wait and it stays in this mode.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It just switched itself off.
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

Is there water that is not draining from the tub?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There may be some but can't see any. I removed the bath mats and set it on a new cycle for quick wash to see what would happen. It ic currently just sitting with Status as Sensing but nothing is happening.
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

The pump filter, number 10 in the diagram at the link below, is probably plugged. Do the rugs appear to be all intact still?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Error code F6E1
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

That error means the controls are not able to talk to each other.

The F6E1 error code indicates a communication error between the control boards. Often times this is caused by a connection issue rather than a part failure. There are three screws on the rear of the top panel that secure the top on. Once removed, the top will slide back and come off to be set aside. In the RF corner near the front control panel is the main machine control. WITH THE MACHINE UNPLUGGED, remove each connector, one at a time, and replace into the control. This will rectify any connection issue if there is one. Once each connector has been reset into position, remove the back panel from the machine to access the motor control board. Do the same for each motor connector. Plug the machine back in and see if the code returns. Let me know if it does and we can move forward.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How do you unplug them and which bits am I unplugging?
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

There are little plastic locks that need to be carefully pried up just enough to slide the connector free from the control. Do this with each connector on all the boards, one at a time.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can you send a photo?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Nothing wants to come loose when I try
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

Do you see the little clips holding the connectors in?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

So they will just lift a little so the connector may then be wiggled free.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I give up - could not disconnect all of them, only a few - and don't want to pull too hard and wreck something else. Plugged it back in sfter putting lid back on - now it gives error msg F6E2
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

That also is a communication error. If you are unable to get the connectors off to reset each one, you will need to call for service.