Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

Kenmore Stack Washer 417.29042991 drum does not turn

Customer Question

Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Have replaced the motor with new, replaced the control board with new, checked function of door lock and cleaned contacts of switch. When first powered on, the drum begins to turn as it fills with water. Then it stops. Timer continues to turn through full cycle, water fill as it and drains/rinses as it should. Door locks as it should. Using either the new or old board and motor, the results are the same. Once it stops turning the drum, it doesn't turn it again anywhere, anytime. It was like this when I started
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

The timer is most likely faulty. Does it tumble in the wash cycle but just not spin or only tumbles right at first then will not tumble in the rinse or any other setting?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
When I first power it up, it starts to tumble as it adds water. Then it just stops and wont tumble again, no matter what, Unless it sits for an extended period. Then it does the same thing. Yes, tumbles to the right, won't reverse.
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

Well, if you have replaced the motor control and motor and the wiring is intact, timer is the only other thing in the circuit.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I've just ordered a timer.... I'll let you know how things go.
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

Sounds good, keep me posted.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Well... installed the NEW timer. Same result. It began by filling the drum with water, the drum turned counterclockwise and paused and turned and paused, then reversed direction... then stopped, not to move again. It still goes through the cycle, timer clicking away, never washing or spinning. As of this post, I have replaced the motor, speed control board, timer, all with NEW units, and pulled the door switch assembly and tested the contacts and actuating mechanism. It works fine. I'm dying here. Any possibility its the reed switch on the detergent/softener door?
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

The reed switch would cause it to not work at all if it was faulty. Does the drum turn the same at the start of each new cycle?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No. Once it moved the first few times, it never moves again, regardless of what cycle you try it on. No movement.
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

Something is shorting the timer out then. Is the wiring intact with no burn marks or anything?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
None that I can see. None of the connections I have seen looked overheated or stressed.
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

I am not sure what you have going but suspect you are going to need an on site repair. I will place your question back to the list in case another has some input.