Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

We have a problem with our ge washer. Clothes are locked

Customer Question

hi, we have a problem with our ge washer. Clothes are locked inside and out landlord won't send someone out until Monday. It's been 4 days and i need to just get the clothes out so they don't get ruined--if they're not already.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 1 to 1-1/2 years at the most
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I would love to but he has some warranty in it that
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: And I'm afraid I'll void it if I do something
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I am not paid anything until you rate my service good using the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page, the money is paid to the site not me directly.

Is it front loader?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Since I can't really do anything due to the warranty, I really just need to open the locked door. I appreciate your time.

OK just remove the top of the unit and reach down by the door latch and you will see a latch release tab that you need to pull down. If you see the front lower panel on the unit you can also remove the 3 screws along the bottom edge of that and drop that panel down then reach up and pull the release tab down to open it.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me!.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can't see any screw anywhere, but the bottom front panel looks like it could be pried?

No do not pry it.....if you look at the back edge of the top panel on the unit...you will see about 3 screws, remove those and slide the top back and lift it off then just reach down under the door latch and pull the tab straight down...

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No screws that look connected to the top. See photos
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No screws at all anywhere on the bottom panel either
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
GE Model GFWR2700H
Or GFWR2705H
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi, not upset or impatient, just wondering if I did something to disconnect you accidentally.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are you there?

Yes there was a delay...

CLICK HERE

And

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The back doesn't look like that. There are it three horizontal screws
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There are not 3 horizontal screws

That is the service manual for your model. The top does come off just remove those screws along the back and it will come off they all do.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How do I get into service mode?
Ext rinse-delay wash-ext rinse-delay wash doesn't do anything but give delay wash times (1h, 2h, 3h, etc)
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
These pics are what the top back looks like
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How do I access service mode?
Ext rinse-delay wash-ext rinse- delay wash only gives delay wash times (1h, 2h, 3h, etc)
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do you know how I get to idle?

I can link you the manual if you have clicked on that offer

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks but I think im going to give up. I've downloaded the manual and the instructions for completely dismantling it. Looks like I have to take off the computer cover to access anything. The clothes that are locked in there are just a lost cause. Thanks for your time and help.

No problem, on some of those models you have to use a putty knife along the side between the top on side panel to release hidden tabs to slide the top off.

Hi there,

I was just touching base with you because I have not heard back from you and the question is still open and unrated, if there is something else I can help you with follow up questions are free and can still be handled even after you rate the service thanks.