Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My Maytag quiet series 300 dishwasher has started

Customer Question

My Maytag quiet series 300 dishwasher has started intermittently making a loud grinding noise. I ran a cycle with dishwasher cleaner, but the symptom continues. What should I try next? Why is it making this noise?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

Does it make the noise during wash or when it is pumping out?

Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

The tech sheet for your model is attached. Can you retrieve any stored error codes and post them, please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
during wash, at least shortly after turning it on and the "washing" light is green.
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Does it stay noisy for the entire cycle?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, the grinding noise is only intermittent, maybe only 10 seconds, maybe longer or not at all.
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

There is probably something stuck in the chopper area.

May I please have your complete model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can't find a model number on the door and I do not have a manual. There is a Maytag sticker on the top left inside that has numbers on it , but none of them are labelled. Perhaps one of them is the model number?
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

It is on that tag and will look like MDB1234ABC

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's MDBM601AWB
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

In the diagram at the link below, the noise is probably coming from the number 6 wash impeller or the number 9 chopper. Are you able to disassemble for inspection?

CLICK HERE