Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My ge true temp keeps shutting off when I turn it on what

Customer Question

My ge true temp keeps shutting off when I turn it on what could the problem be
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 15 years old I havent pulled it out yet it's a double oven in the wall
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

1. When it shuts off, does the panel go dark or it just goes back to displaying time?
  2. May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Goes dark
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

When does it come back on, what do you have to do?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Comes back on 5 minutes later and I try to reheat oven and it does it again
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

Okay, so either you have a loose connection in the power supply line (loose connections, burnt wires, etc) or the main control is failing under a load. You will need to remove the oven from the cabinet to access the wiring connections. If they all look good and you have a stable voltage (240 VAC), the control will need to be replaced. Let me know what you find.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to rate before you leave, using the stars at the top of the page. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is it hard to find a control box for it because it's 15 years old
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'll get it for you in a few getting ready to take it out
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

The model tag should be around the oven openings, you don't need to pull it out to get it.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
326b1230p001 only number I see
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

It will look like ABC1234DEF

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can't find anything if I take the control board out will it have numbers on it
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

Yes, it may have the part number on a tag on the outer edge of the control.