Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair

Side by side fridge mzd2766ge - both sides were failing. I

Customer Question

Hello - side by side fridge mzd2766ge - both sides were failing. I discovered the evaporator coils in freezer were not automatically defrosting. I defrosted manually, and now the freezer side works - I assume this is a temporary fix and I need to figure out how to make it go automatically again, so that's one question.
Question 2: Fridge side is pegged to coldest setting but keeping it maybe 65 degrees. Condenser fan and evaporator fan inside freezer are both working. Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

The reason its not cooling as you already suspected is that the unit has a defrost issue and ice is building up on the evaporator coils behind the panel in the freezer when that happens the fan can'\t circulate the air properly in the unit and therefore will not cool as it should. Give me a moment to pull up your model so I can give you diagnostic instructions and part numbers, thanks.

do you have a ohm meter just checking because you will need one to do these tests.

your model had the adaptive defrost control board that controls the defrost system so you will need to test the board, the defrost heater and the bi-metal thermostat to see what is defective on the defrost system or you can just replace them all up to you. I uploaded the service manual for that model so that you can have all the information you need to repair the unit. See section/page 2-15 for testing the defrost system. click here to download/open service manual

The replacement parts you will need are listed below:

The heater assembly comes with the defrost thermostat as a kit.

Defrost Heater Assembly WP61006199 - click here

Refrigerator Adaptive Defrost Control Board

Part #: 61005988 - click here

Here is a video that shows how to get to the adaptive defrost control as it is kind of tricky so watch the video - click here for video

Here is the location of the defrost heater and bi-metal defrost thermostat - click here

We are on the honor system here. Since I have given you the initial answer please rate/vote by selecting a star at the top of the screen and any follow up questions you may have will be free of charge and of course I will continue to help if needed.

Rating me will does not affect what you agreed to pay for the question and will not have any affect on what you have already been billed for unless you request a phone call.

Feel free to get back to me with any questions you may have but in the meantime I would appreciate you going ahead and rating the answer as this is the only way I get compensated for my time, thanks!

After you have rated/voted the answer you will be sent an email with a link that will allow you to get back to me for any follow up questions free of charge it will not close the question.

Please Know: I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and did not receive that money. I am just a technician on the site that is here to help assist you and have nothing to do with billing.

When you rate/vote my answer you have to click on the star vote/rate system at the top of your screen. Typing I give you a 5 star rating in a message does absolutely nothing to help me you have to click on the rating system.

Thank You!

Tips are not expected but are greatly appreciated.

Hi there,
I was just getting back with you, I see the question is still open and I have not heard back from you is there something else I can help you with?