Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

My hot point top load dryer is not working. It fills with

Customer Question

My hot point top load dryer is not working. It fills with water, but when it should start washing it makes a terrible loud grinding noise and doesnt work.
It was working fine until I moved it up some stairs, not sure what happened.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 4 months ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am an appliance expert with JustAnswer.com and I can help you today.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
great, thx
Expert:  Jon replied 4 months ago.
If it was wo I got properly before being moved but not doesn't spin or agitate and make s a terrible noise, it sounds like th transmission and meat b I got have become dislodged or out of place. Sometimes all it takes is opening the top lid, grabbing th tub and lifting up and shifting the tub so that the tranny can lock back into place. Try this and see if that helps. If it doesn't I would like to run a few diagnostic st ps with you. So pleas let me know what happens. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK, will do thx. If I move the setting to spin it will spin, FYI
Expert:  Jon replied 4 months ago.
Okay. Please do tell me how it works for you. You should find that it will work just fine. But if not, please get back to me here and I will help you more. Sometimes, a very small amount of time, th and transmission can become so dislodged that it will not get easily set back into place. So if you find after picking th tub up and shifting over it doesn't work I'm afraid you will either need to call a service company or g t back to m her and I will tell you how to take th machine apart so you can do it yourself. If you are capable and have some basic hand tools?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thx! Yes, I have basic tools around. I will try shortly when I get home and let you know asap. Thank you for your help!!
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The tub currently doesnt rotate at all, shoudl I pull up toward the cieling and try to rotate it?
Its model # *****
Expert:  Jon replied 4 months ago.
Lift straight up. You will have to pull straight up from the outer edge of the tub. Lift hard and twist and rotate the tub. If that doesn't work it has come dislodged too badly. Likely from the move.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can rotate it but not sure where it's supposed to be? It's tail making the noise. It also is emptying after filling, so when it should be washing I hear it emoting the water out
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Also,
When I push the tin left to right, it scrapes on the bottom of the case
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Actually, it is very difficult to rotate the inner tuB
Expert:  Jon replied 4 months ago.

Okay. Thank you for that info. This is very helpful. First we will look at the fact that the before the washer is done filling with water in the beginning it is immediately draining as well. This is almost always due to the drain hose being stuffed too far down the standpipe where the water will drain into. When the drain hose is stuck down more then 3-5 inches down the washer standpipe it will create a syphon effect and start to drain the water out. What i suggest you do is remove the washing machine drain hose from the standpipe completely and let it drain into a large pale. set the washer on a new wash cycle at the fill cycle and hit start. let it fill normally. if it fills completely without draining then you know the drain hose being stuck too far down the standpipe was the issue. And in this case just only stick the drain hose down the standpipe about 3-5 inches. Thats it. But if after removing the drain hose and it still does the same thing you may have accifdently removed the pressure switch air tube. This tube is used when the water fills up in the tub. When it gets to desired level, the air tube will float an air bubble to the pressure switch letting it know when the water is at the desired level. And to fix this you will need to open the washer up and check the hose as it attaches to the bottom of the wash tub. usually an easy fix.

Expert:  Jon replied 4 months ago.

Now as for the wash tub still not spinning and the lid shifting, if your machine has a safety lid switch, which I'm sure it does, it could have moved when moving the machine. And in this case, if the lid switch isn't set correctly, it will think the lid is open and after the fill cycle it will not agitate or even spin. you will notice as the lid is opened, there will be a little nub that protrudes out from the lid. This nub will push in the lid switch when the lid is closed. This completes the circuit and will tell the washer timer the lid is closed and safe to agitate and spin. Take a look there and tell me if the lid and the nub are pushing the lid switch down far enough? you will know when you hear the click of the lid switch as the lid pushes it down. if you don't hear the click then the switch could be damaged or not pushing the switch down far enough. And sometimes the lid can get posted in by leaning in on it and that could cause the switch to not work properly as well.

Expert:  Jon replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for the model number. No don't turn the tub it shouldn't turn at this point. and with the info you gave me above about the draining and the lid, i think those are your problems here. not the tranny. work on those items and get back to me here tomorrow and let me know what you have found. Or you can simply accept the phone call request i have sent to you and we can speak directly. it makes the diagnostic process much much easier than tying. and will quicken things up as well. I will be around all day tomorrow to help you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thx, the lid switch appears to a magnet? Right now it spins and emptys ok.
I had a very long hose, and fixed it as you said and now it's not emptying prematurely .
However, when it is time to agitate now it either does nothing, or it gives a loud screeching noise
Expert:  Jon replied 4 months ago.

okay good about the hose. one problem down. now if the washer is still not agitating and screeching its not the lid switch.

Expert:  Jon replied 4 months ago.

let me look up the model. be right back

Expert:  Jon replied 4 months ago.

Okay just looked up the model info and exploded view pics. The is a belt drive machine. mistimes the belt tension comes loose and will not agitate and will just make a screeching sound or even smell like burning rubber. move the washer away rom the wall a few feet and lean it back towards the wall so the front of the washer is off the ground. Then bend down and look at the belt under the washer.

Expert:  Jon replied 4 months ago.

Even grab the belt and tell me if you can move it up or down a bit? you shouldn't be able to move it much. If you can then that is the issue. turn the machine on and pull carefully on the belt. But PLEASE PLEASE BE CAREFUL NOT TO GET A FINGER STUCK. If the belt moves along wth the wash tub then you need a new belt. Probably just got stretched or the tension pulley has come loose and let the tension.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thx! The belt is very right, with no play at all
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Any suggestions?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi! I think I found the issue, the left part of the bottom of the basin is a scrapping on the bottom f the case, I put a small price of cloth underneath where it was rubbing and the noise stopped and it ran.
How can I raise one side of the tub? Is the suspension adjustable?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Th bottom case of the machine has gotten pushed up during the move, I bent it back down and now its running fine.
Expert:  Jon replied 4 months ago.
Okay. Good. I'm glad you were able to find the problem. Get back to me here if you need more help.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thx! Now it is running, but stopping mid cycle, and either restarting on its own, or I have to turn the knob a bit and then it restarts