Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I changed my filter with a Samsung filter. Now my

Customer Question

I changed my filter with a Samsung filter. Now my refrigerator will not run water for drinking or ice making. I paid a lot of money for this refrigerator. It is no longer under warranty. What can I do!!!!!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

If the water worked before changing the filter then follow the instructions below, if not then the water inlet valve on the unit has failed and must be replaced before the water and ice will work again. If it was working fine before changing the filter then continue below.

Make sure the water supply line from you home has pressure then Remove the filter and following the directions below reinstall the filter, after installing the filter again you will need to purge the system of air get a big cup and hold the water dispenser button down until water is dispersed and allow the cup to fill dump it and fill it again.

click here for instructions

*******************************************************************************

We are on the honor system here. Since I have given you the initial answer please rate/vote by selecting a star at the top of the screen and any follow up questions you may have will be free of charge and of course I will continue to help if needed.

Rating me will does not affect what you agreed to pay for the question and will not have any affect on what you have already been billed for unless you request a phone call.

Feel free to get back to me with any questions you may have but in the meantime I would appreciate you going ahead and rating the answer as this is the only way I get compensated for my time, thanks!

After you have rated/voted the answer you will be sent an email with a link that will allow you to get back to me for any follow up questions free of charge it will not close the question.

Please Know: I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and did not receive that money. I am just a technician on the site that is here to help assist you and have nothing to do with billing.

NOTE PLEASE READ:

When you rate/vote my answer you have to click on the star vote/rate system at the top of your screen. Typing I give you a 5 star rating in a message does absolutely nothing to help me you have to click on the rating system.

Thank You!

Tips are not expected but are greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I know how to change the filter!! When I hold the water dispenser down a trickle of water comes out. I have not heard the ice maker lately

did you have this issue before replacing the water filter?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No, I did not have this problem. I did notice that the refrigerator was a little louder than usual. My account has already been debited $28. My refrigerator is still not working
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your refrigerator. The previous expert has opted out but I have read over the conversation and know what the issue is. You will want to swap in your old filter and see if it goes back to dispensing water again. If not, then your filter receptacle has just failed I'm sorry to say. The filter receptacle has a diverter valve built into it which re-directs the water flow when you remove the filter so it doesn't pour out into your refrigerator. Unfortunately this diverter can fail by just simply changing the filter since that is the only time it actuates. If you swap the old filter in and it still won't dispense, you need to replace the filter receptacle. The part number you'd need to order is da81-05886a.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can I change this filter receptacle myself?

If you're handy you can yes. But it comes with the water lines that go down the back of the refrigerator so you need to follow the water lines down all the way to the valve in order to disconnect them and pull the filter receptacle through the front of the refrigerator.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sounds like I need a technician. Thank you for your help.

Not a problem and I'm very sorry about the bad news today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and let me know if you need anything else.