Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have an Amana front loading washer that shut down during a

Customer Question

I have an Amana front loading washer that shut down during a final rinse cycle with error message d5. The model number is ***** I am locked out of the washer.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Amana is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: The machine is about for years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I have to, but I have a service guy coming soon, and I wanted information ahead of time.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: There is still some water and a load of laundry stillinside
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your washer today. Error d5 is a fairly common error on these washers. When this fault is displayed on your washer the control thinks the door is open and the lock is locked. There are couple things you can try to rectify this issue.

How to fix ds washer error code:

1. Unplug washer for 2-3 minutes: Try unplugging the washer for several minutes. Leaving the machine unplugged for a few minutes will allow the capacitors on the PCB control boards to discharge. When the capacitors discharge the control board basically will reset. If the error is a glitch or software problem hopefully unplugging it did the trick. If not, read on for another option to try before you have to replace any washing machine parts.

2. Manually unlock the door if it happens to be locked. To manually unlock the door you need to pull the washer forward and remove the screws coming in from the back of the top panel. The top panel will then pull straight back, up, and off. Unplug the washer. Now you can reach down behind the front panel of the washer and there is a plastic tab hanging off the bottom of the door latch. Pull down on this tab to manually unlock the door. Now plug the washer back in and see if it works again. If not then try the next step.

2. Door Strike: Check the small strike on the physical door. I’ve seen the striker break off and cause this fault code before. The striker is mounted with two small Phillip head screws. make sure the striker is in place and not broken and that it’s alined with the lock assembly. If the door strike checks good, then you need to replace the door latch behind the front panel of your washer.

Replacing the door lock:

1. Unplug the washer: This is a no brainer. Unplug the washer before you attempt to make any repair or service. Once unplugged the washer can be serviced.

2. Remove the tub ring: The door gasket is held in place with a metal band. Remove the band and the front part of the gasket will come off. You can then push the gasket inside the washer.

3. Remove the door lock screws: The door lock has several small screws on the front mounting it to the frame. Once the screws are remove the door lock assembly will drop down off the frame of the washer.

4. Remove plug and play wires: The wires on the door lock assembly are plug and play. You simply need to depress the small plastic tab and lift up on the wire harness. The molex connector will come off the lock. It’s actually a very straight forward repair.Once you’ve replaced the lock go ahead and button the washer back up. Run a quick test cycle to make sure everything is working as designed.If everything works correctly, you have completed the repair. Fixing the ds error code is actually very straight forward. It’s more time consuming than difficult.

CLICK HERE for latch assembly for your model

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?