John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company

My Samsung RM255LASH/XAA has been freezing up the back

Customer Question

Hi, my Samsung RM255LASH/XAA has been freezing up the back panels in both the freezer side and refrigerator side. I would turn the power off for several days and let it defrost and then turn it back on and it would work fine for several months. After a time, it would start the frosting/freezing again with a loud whirring/hum. This past time I defrosted and the freezer side temp works but the fridge side is still at 60 degrees and not cooling.
JA: Have you tried power cycling the appliance -- unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: well I had it unplugged and off for 5 days while it was defrosting. but when I plugged it back in yesterday the fridge side would not cool even after setting it to power cool.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I had a service call yesterday from a SEARS repair and he checked for leaks. He said he couldn't diagnose without seeing the ice formations etc. and would have to come back next week.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: am I supposed to do anything to the panel to reset. I always just plug it back in. He did pull the fridge out and looked at back. The fan always seemed to work in the fridge side but now does not.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 3 months ago.

Do you see an error display? Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  John replied 3 months ago.

Your fridge has two sensors which send signals to the control board. One is the heat sensor. Its part number is(###) ###-#### ***** its price is $9.34. The other is the humidity sensor. Its part number is(###) ###-#### ***** its price is $8.05. These need to be replaced. You can buy them at Both are plug in parts.

Using the expert's star rating scale, please click the star that expresses your satisfaction with my response. I'm not paid, until you rate my service to you.

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
if I order these two parts would you be able to help me complete the repair by walking me through it? Where are these sensors located to repair it would it be something I could access and do myself. I am a novice.
Expert:  John replied 3 months ago.

When the parts arrive, go to, and enter each part number, one at a time, into their search box, then click the Repair Help on the left side of the search box, for a detailed replacement instruction.