Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a Dacor 46inch sealed 6 burner LP gas cooktop

Customer Question

I have a Dacor 46inch sealed 6 burner LP gas cooktop Installed over a cabinet that holds pots and pans. This was a replacement for 29 year old open flame cooktop of the same size. When the burners are on simmer, opening or closing the cabinet doors underneath causes the burnt to flameout. It sparks until it reignites, but some times goes on indefinitely sparking because flame is very low. The old cooktop (open burner) never had this Robles. Service tech adjusted flame on one burner to solve the problem but I lost simmer capability. Favor suggested drilling holes under the cabinet to let in more air. That didn't help. The doors change the air pressure when pulled open quickly or shut quickly. If you open or close them slowly it doesn't flame out.
Stupid me, I didn't this problem when under warranty, and after two years of living with it I would like to solve the problem. pipe in special air feed? Could it be the regulator? Where does the air mix with the gas on sealed units? Any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I am not paid anything until you rate my service good using the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page, the money is paid to the site not me directly.

Answer:

Have you checked and cleaned off the spark electrode tips?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not the problem

Ok the flame has to contact the side of the electrode in order to send the correct signal to the spark module to stop sparking. I have adjusted hundreds of these for that issue. The simmer can not be so low that the flame does not contact the electrode. How low is the simmer set?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It always relites. Takes a few seconds. Can the flameout be avoided?

There is no way to bypass it, you may have the simmer just set too low.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
You haven't addressed my problem
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

The only way you are going to change the air pressure issue you are having is to open the cabinet you have the unit installed in. You can cut rectangular slots along the top edges that will never be seen when the cabinet doors are opened. It is not a problem with the cooktop but with the air movement with the pressure change. So, the pressure will need to be kept as stable as possible, the large rectangular slots will help with that.