Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

GE profile refrigerator,doors are not suctioning closed

Customer Question

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

So first, the doors don't actually suck closed, what causes this effect is warm air getting into the refrigerator or freezer and then the air cools down and condenses causing a suction affect only if the door seals are sealing up better than the manufacture intended. This can actually be problematic in some cases if it makes too good of a seal and can prevent the door from being opened right after you close it in some cases. Either way, just visually inspect the door seal all the way around the doors to make sure they are sealing up with the frame of the refrigerator and freezer and if not then use a hair dryer and heat up the door seal in the area where it's not sealing up properly to reform the door seal.

Other than that, check the temperatures inside the refrigerator and freezer. The freezer should be about 0ºF and the refrigerator should be about 38ºF. If all that checks good then the unit is working as intended.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?