Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.

I have a Samsung RF267ABRS. The refrigerator section is

Customer Question

I have a Samsung RF267ABRS. The refrigerator section is freezing and the freezer section is not cooling at all.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Samsung is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I got it from a neighbor and I believe she said they bought it in 2009-2010. Model RF267ABRS
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes. I've done many appliance repairs so fairly comfortable with it
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: That's all I was told. The fridge section freezes everything and the freezer does nothing. Everything else seems good. Dispenser operates, lights work in all sections, compressor running, compressor fan running, cool air blowing into fridge section.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I am not paid anything until you rate my service good using the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page, the money is paid to the site not me directly.

Can you see if the compressor is running on the unit?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The fridge section has cold air blowing into it. Doesn't that cogito the compressor is active since cold air is being produced?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I meant doesn't that 'confirm' the compressor is active...But yes I can feel and hear it

OK can you remove the back panel inside the refrigerator section and check the fan motor and the evaporator there for frosting?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
there is frosting

OK that is the issue, the unit is not defrosting properly. The heater or defrost sensor for the refrigerator section may be bad causing that issue. You need to defrost it all to get it working again for now, but you will need to check the heater for continuity and check the sensor to see if it has a broken wire to it or check the ohm range to see if it is reading mega ohms, which would mean it is bad.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me! are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There is a very slight layer of frost. Animal expected amount like freon line produces. No blockage. No ice buildup. No blockage to prevent fan from blowing. It is going thru it's normal defrost cycle with no issues. Remember that the fridge is over cooling while the freezer is not getting any air flow.

Is the freezer fan running?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How do I determine that? I would assume it's inside the freezer and at the rear? How can I trick the sensor with the door open to keep the fan running? Assuming that is what I will need to do. Thx

That should be a magnet sensor you need a strong rare earth magnet to put on the sensor on the door frame to trick it.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
t looks like the refrigerator portion is actually operating appropriately. The freezer section at times is cooling and at times not.

Then the unit is either low on freon or possibly you have a compressor inverter board issue. Check and see the status light on the inverter board behind the it solid red?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I could not find any light on either the main board or the smaller board above it. One question, is air forced into the freezer via fan/motorized damper or does it passively enter the freezer from the refrigerator? Reason I ask is I was thinking maybe air is at times being choked off from entering the freezer Via a malfunctioning damper. But if it recirculates its own air than that is a nonissue

It is a dual evaporator system but both evaporators are in series with each other that is why I think it may be low on freon.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok is there a way to test this? Thx!

you need to put a tap valve on the system and check the suction pressure on the unit.