Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My maytag neptune dryer gets no heat. It is getting gas

Customer Question

My maytag neptune dryer gets no heat. It is getting gas because it lights but then goes out after about 7 seconds. A minute later it will light again but then go out again after another 7 seconds.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: MDG5500AWW, 10 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

So first, I just want to say that the dryer is intended to regulate the temperature by turning the gas on and then off, there is no in-between. The less clothes you have inside then the less time the flame stays on for. Either way, if it's not drying properly then something is definitely wrong. First, make sure your vent is cleaned and the best way to do that is just run a cycle without the vent hose connected to the back of the dryer to see if things change. If your dryer still won't dry properly, then this is a pretty common issue unfortunately and it means that your gas coils are starting to fatigue and need to be ordered and replaced. As the coils heat up, the unit stops opening the valve or can't hold it open as long as intended because it gets weak. You just need to order and replace the 2 black cylinder gas coils located directly in front of the igniter. Below is a link to the part you'll need to order and replace.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?