Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My washing machine flashing lights and door won't unlock &

Customer Question

My washing machine flashing lights and door won't unlock & is. Flashing error f-28and is Flashing error :-) 28
JA: What's the make and model of your machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Maytag 4000 series 4.5. And probably is 5 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I can figure out code error with your help
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not at this time
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

F28 means that your main central control board (CCU) and the motor control board (MCU) are not communicating with one another properly. The motor control board is located under the tub mounted to the floor of the washer. The CCU is mounted under the top panel of the washer and is the part with about 100 wires going into it. You'll want to remove the top panel and the lower front panel to check the wire connections and make sure they are all secure. If everything looks good, then you just have to guess which control board you want to replace first, either the MCU or the CCU and the problem is that there is no way to test and determine which part is faulty so it's just a guessing game but that being said, it's almost always the MCU so that is what I would order and replace first.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?