Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair

Maytag RTD21A is not cooling sufficiently, 't know, maybe

Customer Question

Maytag RTD21A is not cooling sufficiently
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Don't know, maybe about 10 years old? 091641 BH is under the Serial info. does that help identify it?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: i was going to take a look myself, yes.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I did pull the fridge out a few days before it started having problems cooling. Could the condenser coils on the bottom be dirty from dust?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

Yes the the condenser being dirty could cause it not to cool properly, but so could many other issues. First if you cleaned the condenser, give it 24 hours to get back to normal temps, if it does not then you will need to check and make sure both the fan in the freezer and the condenser fan (fan next to compressor) is running. If the compressor is running, both fans should be as well. If that checks out ok then remove the back panel of the freezer and see if there is ice built up on the evaporator coil, if so then the unit has a defrost issue that needs to be repaired before it will work properly. If its a defrost issue let me know and we will go from there, the evaporator coil should have a light frost from the top all the way to the bottom of the coil, if the coil has ice built up at the very top of the evaporator only and no frost on the rest of the coil then the sealed system has an issue either a leak or a restriction. If there is no frost pattern then the compressor is not pumping properly and that is the issue. Let me know what you find, in the meantime:

We are on the honor system here. Since I have given you the initial answer please rate/vote by selecting a star at the top of the screen and any follow up questions you may have will be free of charge and of course I will continue to help if needed.

Rating me will does not affect what you agreed to pay for the question and will not have any affect on what you have already been billed for unless you request a phone call.

Feel free to get back to me with any questions you may have but in the meantime I would appreciate you going ahead and rating the answer as this is the only way I get compensated for my time, thanks!

After you have rated/voted the answer you will be sent an email with a link that will allow you to get back to me for any follow up questions free of charge it will not close the question.

Please Know: I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and did not receive that money. I am just a technician on the site that is here to help assist you and have nothing to do with billing.

When you rate/vote my answer you have to click on the star vote/rate system at the top of your screen. Typing I give you a 5 star rating in a message does absolutely nothing to help me you have to click on the rating system.

Thank You!

Tips are not expected but are greatly appreciated.

Hi there,
I was just getting back with you, I see the question is still open and I have not heard back from you is there something else I can help you with?