Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Maytag LTF2112AR Refrigerator/Freezer. Freezer

Customer Question

I have a Maytag LTF2112AR Refrigerator/Freezer. Freezer compartment has ice forming over all items. Icecicles hanging from the top as well. I completely shut it off (unplugged it) and took all items out of the frigerator and freezer for a period of hours. Turned it back on and within a couple of days it is doing it again.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

If you're getting ice forming all over, make sure the door seal is sealing up all around the freezer and refrigerator door. If there is an area it's not sealing up, open the door and heat up the door seal with a hair dryer for 15-30 minutes to reform that part of the door seal. Other than that, pull everything out of the freezer and remove the back panel inside the freezer. Check the trough below the silver evaporator coils (which are behind the back panel inside the freezer). Make sure this trough is draining properly and the hole down to the bottom isn't clogged causing it to back up and create too much moisture inside the freezer. Other than that if everything I stated checks good, there is a 1" round device clipped onto the top of the silver coils called the defrost thermostat. This is what should turn the heater off during defrost if it gets too warm so if it's allowing the freezer to warm up too much and then re-freezing that will cause the ice forming as well so you'd want to replace the defrost thermostat.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?