Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

LG electric dryer DLEY1201 powers up fine and lets me press

Customer Question

LG electric dryer DLEY1201 powers up fine and lets me press START, but dryer will not run at all . Instead CHECK FILTER keeps blinking and all drying options (regular cotton, perm press, delicate. Etc) remain lit up all at once. I have completely cleaned lint tray area and inside tin exhaust hose path to outside the house. What's the problem. Do I have a hidden lint sensor somewhere that's covered with lint and giving false "COMPLETELY CLOGGED PATH" to the dryer? Or do a have a bad circuit, board, or something I don't know the name of? HELP!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

The filter light issue means that the dryer doesn't think it's venting properly as you know. Now this could be a bad thermistor or a faulty control board. you'll need to take the dryer apart and check the resistance of the thermistor which is mounted to the vent on the dryer below the drum. It should be about 10,000 ohms at room temperature and if it's not, you'll want to replace it---otherwise you'll want to order and replace the display control board. Below is a link to the thermistor you're looking for to test. You'll need a multimeter to test resistance and if you don't have it, just replace the thermistor as it's the most likely culprit.

CLICK HERE for thermistor

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I watched the video on how to take apart the dryer. It looks like quite a few steps. Could I get myself in more trouble trying to take it apart? I think my neighbor has a multimeter if I can get to the thermistor but I'm a bit nervous about disassembly

I guess it depends on how handy you are, but as long as you can follow the video it shows you how to take it apart so you should be able to put it back together. You'll just have to use your best judgment if this is over your abilities or not.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do u have a video that more closely matched my specific model? Mine has the buttons and sensors facing UP , not facing OUT. It's the model DLEY1201

Unfortunately not, the unit is really too new for any videos yet.

The front procedure should be the same but to remove the entire top panel with control and display you just slide a putty knife into the front crease below the top panel. There are 2 hidden metal spring clips you push back on and then the top panel will unclip and hinge up and backwards to get out of your way. Then you can work on removing the front panel and such.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can we skype or FaceTime? Then u can walk me through it step by step?

Unfortunately I don't have that ability.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If I take a picture, can u point out where to put the putty knife to pop the spring clips? Do I ALSO need to remove screws from the back or will popping the spring clips be ALL I need to do to remove the top?

You should just need to pop the springs yes. Attached below are the picture of where the springs are.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.