Ezekiel
Ezekiel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Repair Expert
91962359

Whirlpool Duet Washer, WFW96HE error code: F08 E01 (water

Customer Question

Hi. Whirlpool Duet Washer, WFW96HE error code: F08 E01 (water fill fault). I checked all hoses, filters, etc. Good flow in both hot and cold supply lines. Filter screens were/are clean. I called Whirlpool tech out to fix. He checked it out and said replace water inlet valve (the solenoid valve at the back). I did this, and still getting same error code. I ran it through the diagnostic test mode (the three-button procedure) and all individual system are working fine. I get very good flow when testing cold and hot water valves in diagnostic mode, but when I run it in any wash mode (hot or cold), the water still just trickles out and I get the error code again.
I'm thinking maybe the main control board is not sending the right message to open the valves fully, but not sure, since it is able to operate each system properly during diagnostic tests. Is there a way to reset? Any ideas?
Thank you.
-Mike
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

Replace the pressure sensor hose. The hose is located in the back of the washer on side with the drain hose. You access the hose by removing the rear cover

Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

please rate me high as that's how I get paid from the site if you need further help please send a reply

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I removed the back and the pressure sensor hose. The hose shows no apparent damage from rubbing as others have reported and shows no leaks under 2 diff 35 psi pressure tests (held under water with pressure + soapy water under pressure). The lower rubber boot that attaches this hose to the wash basin below the filter(?) also appears fine. If it helps, this washer is stamped 16 May 2013, and has been in service for less than 3 years. What else might be the problem?
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

good afternoon checking a few things

Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

how far is the drainhose in the drain it should only be enough to curve just a little should not be all the way in can you check please

Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

NO WATER DETECTED ENTERING WASHER OR PRESSURE SWITCH TRIP NOT DETECTED

The washer does not detect water input after 13 minutes of filling. Possible Causes• Is water supply connected and turned on?• Check for blocked or kinked inlet hoses. • Low water pressure or blocked hose screens.• Check for proper drain hose installation. Is water siphoning out of the drain hose? Drain hose must not be more than 4.5" (113 mm) into drain pipe. • Check connections from tub to air trap, air trap to pressure hose, and pressure hose to pressure sensor.

Is pressure hose pinched, kinked, plugged, or leaking air?

The pressure switch is tripped

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
All connections and inlet hoses have been checked and show no indications of damage or leaking. Diagnostic test shows good valve operation and flow from both hot and cold. Drain hose is correct at about 4" into drain- well above tub water level. Pressure hose checks out ok.I have not timed it, but when I start a wash cycle, it does slowly trickle water into washer for about 13 minutes before error code stops everything."pressure switch is tripped"- not sure how to check this?
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

yes if the water is trickling in that is your problem you have low water pressure coming in so the flow meter is not sensing enough water coming in at a fast rate so it stops the system and gives you an error code

Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

are you there please

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
we're trying to figure out why the water won't flow fully and freely during wash cycle operation, when it clearly flows very well under diagnostic test mode. All inlet water supply is good, free and clear for both hot and cold. No obstructions, about 70 psi water pressure. It works fine during diagnostic test (flows like a fully open faucet), but not when running a wash cycle (trickle).
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

can you turn the water off and check the screens on the hoses for calcium debris sediment

Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

also do u live in the city or are you on well water

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
City water.
Please read my original post. I have good water flow to the wash tub. Water flows just fine during diagnostic mode, but not during regular operation. The water supply is working. The valves are working. Again, the water flows just fine during diagnostic mode, but not during regular operation. Please let me know if you don't know what I'm talking about.
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

there is a flow meter that connects on the same rubber hose as the water inlet valve it has a plug in harness can you unplug it there is a small board in the plastic housing it pulls out with some needle nose pliers clean the contacts on it then reinsert it and plug the harness back in then try a cycle

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok- I will try that.
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

please let me know

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have removed the plug/board assembly. Should I remove the small board from the plug. It seems very firmly attached.
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

yes it can be removed ive done it many times but just remove that harness that sit on there clean that since its near water it can have corrosion

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Washer running now. Water ran for first 5 minutes at trickle, and then kicked on full. Does that sound normal? I've attached pics showing the difference. Running quick wash (26 min.), and we've passed the first 13 min, but we'll see if it makes it all the way through. Fingers crossed...
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

water should be coming in at full speed every time you use the machine if all goes well I would have the city come at check you home water pressure for piece of mind.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Error code, again.
Water pressure, inlet hose, filters, etc are not the problem. We have about 65-70 psi water pressure. I have tested inlet hoses into sink, and we have PLENTY of flow from supply. Screens are clean. Again- it is capable of flowing water through (see pics), it just won't open up all the way during wash cycle. This is a problem with the washer, not the water supply. I understand that you have to deal with a lot of dim people here, but I am WAY past the obvious. Any other suggestions?
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

I would replace the water pressure switch

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is the pressure sensor that the little thing at the top of the pressure sensor hose? I have a multi-meter. Is there a way to test it's function?
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

this is it

Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

this is the pressure switch

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Isn't the flow meter just the part that tells the washer how much water is flowing, and whether there is a problem? I don't see a part that looks like that pressure switch. Is the pressure switch located at the top of the pressure sensor hose?
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

that pressure switch sits directly across from the flow meter on the other wall

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
is this it (see pic)?
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

yes that is it

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do you know of a way to test it?
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

6

Locate the pressure switch behind the removed control panel. It should have a circular plastic housing with a tube and separate wiring harness attached to it.

7

Hand remove the switch's wiring harness and attached tube.

8

Insert a small flat head screwdriver between the switch's attachment point and the washer's interior wall. Press the screwdriver down to release the switch's clip. Turn the device counterclockwise to remove it completely from the machine.

9

Set the switch down on top of the washer so that the wiring connector faces you with no obstructions from the rest of the device.

10

Set the multimeter to read continuity in ohms. Attach one multimeter probe to the middle switch contact and the other probe to the right side contact.

11

Observe the multimeter's reading. If it registers infinity, denoted by a blank reading or a display of the value one, the switch is bad. A reading of approximately 0 ohms indicates a good switch.

12

Place the probes onto the two outside contacts for another switch reading. Observe the multimeter. This reading should be infinity on the multimeter. An indication of 0 ohms means the switch has failed.

13

Reverse steps 2 through 8 to reassemble the washer, if the switch tests well.

14

Turn the washer on and run for a normal cycle to verify that the pressure switch works correctly

Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

that should help you

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Well... there are two tests listed. One test shows it's bad, one test shows it's good. I guess I'll order the part and see if that fixes it.
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

ok these were the only test I could find because many people have this problem good luck any issues afterwards please send me a reply I will be happy to troubleshoot as far as needed for you

Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

please rate me high as that is how I get paid from the site thank you.