Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

LG front load washer, Model WM2301HR. Will agitate gently,

Customer Question

LG front load washer, Model WM2301HR. Will agitate gently, but won't spin at full speed, sometimes UE or LE codes. When operated through diagnostic cycle (hold Wash/Rinse, Spin Speed buttons down then push Power Button, then cycle through all operations with the play/pause button) I can see the drum sort of locking into position, then releasing at some points. Drum never spins in this diagnostic mode, but you can tell the motor energizes at some points but does not move.
During my first diagnostic of the machine I discovered one of the shock mounting pins was missing (never found the pieces of it) and the shock on the bottom left (as you look at the front of the unit) was disengaged.
- Drum rotates freely and there is no indication of issues wit the bearing when you try to move the drum up and down or side to side while holding the tub.
- The machine has new shocks and springs
- The machine has new motor, both drum and stator (came with new sensor)
- Machine has new Main Control Unit
I'm just about to wits end with this thing, but already have several hundred dollars in parts in it.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

Does the drum turn easily when turned by hand? Can you feel any points of resistance, like as if there may be something between the tubs?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Drum turns freely and I can feel no resistance
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
In a normal cycle there is a bit of noise when it first tries to start up. Also a clarification, it will spin in a normal cycle, just very slowly only. In the diagnostic cycle it never spins more than a quarter turn
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

Given that the controls and motor components have been replaced and the drum turns freely, I suspect the issue is wiring related. The control gets the signals from the sensors and responds with the control directions for the motor. So, it is either not getting the message properly or is not responding correctly. I suspect the signal is not getting to the control and would recommend you replace the wiring harness at this point.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to rate before you leave, using the stars at the top of the page. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I see a couple of different wiring harnesses, any specific part number?Also, I'd like to do some more inspection of the harness to see if I can identify a problem, any areas I should focus on?
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

It will be the harness between the motor and the control.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Kelly,I replaced the main wiring harness and no joy. Still comes up with an LE code and does not complete the cycle... 5 weeks with no washing machine :-(
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
When it spins it groans as it spins, but the drum does spin freely without notable play in the bearing. With the new motor in it, new MCU, new shocks, and new harness I'm at a total loss and bummed about the adding costs.See: video of issue.
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

What is the part number of the control you replaced?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
LG OEM Part #EBR32268019
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

And the motor the one below?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
that's the new motor that was put in. Were you able to see the video link I put in there?
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

I was, it sounds like the motor is laboring. Is the inside of the rotor clean?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the rotor was replaced about 6 months ago... it had stripped out against the spline shaft. It still looks like new.
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

I am not sure then. You have replaced every component in the drive system.