Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore

I have a Kitchenaid gas convection oven range top

Customer Question

I have a Kitchenaid gas convection oven range top Kgra806pss02. Last week when no one was using it the controller board short circuited, harnesses started to burn, and the broiler ignited presenting a real safety issue. I called Kitchenaids safety department and they sent a contract service to look at it. All he did was shine a flashlight and tell me the board was shorted out, which I already knew. No other diagnosis. Kitchenaid called back and told me it could not be fixed and offered a ridiculous 20% off MSRP for a new unit. I told them that the unit is a safety issue and that the 20% was unaccpetable. They came back with 30% and I told them to have someone with greater authority call me back.
Question: why can't the unit be repaired. I see the controller board is available on line.
Question: If it can't be repaired what should I expect to get Kitchenaid to do. If I hadn't been home and there were combustables in the over the damage could have been severe.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 3 months ago.

Hello, this is Dave and welcome to JustAnswer. There are two boards but I assume the one that burned was not the one up top in the front where the clock is located? If only the control and the wiring harness are needed parts would be $360 and you could figure on an hour to 1 1/2 labor. I think they said it was not repairable because they heard the word SAFETY. If they say to get it fixed and there is another problem they would be liable. Also the cost may exceed what you are willing to pay vs. the purchase of the new one. Let me know if you have concerns or any follow up questions.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am concerned about safety since it started the oven when it shorted. The board that shorted is behind the control panel just behind the 10 key pad. If you look up from beneath into the front control panel you can see the shorted panel. Is this what you thought shorted.In this type of situation, do you have any experience on what Kitchenaid will do for me. I can get a new one at Home Depot at a 29% discount today if the product failed and I didn't want to repair. The issue here is that they sold me a defectively designed product that is a safety issue. I told them I live in a condo development of over 100 units and most of them have this model in their kitchens. I willing to play hardball with them if necessary. Your experience with this?

It often comes down to what is found by the service tech. Just because there is smoke and something burned it does not always equal a safety problem. There are several ways to look at this and the way some brands operate they just say it is out of warranty and you are on your own. It is not a model that I have heard caused fires or there would be a safety recall so I think they are doing okay at 30%. If you were thinking of doing the repair the control up in the control area is the one that is more expensive. It is over $350 and so you would be at $50 plus labor. I don't think it makes sense to do the repair.