Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

F6E1 my tech wants me to buy both CCU AND MCU. How can I

Customer Question

F6E1 my tech wants me to buy both CCU AND MCU.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: How can I diagnose if the ground switch and or the main harness are either good or bad first.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Not sure yet.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: We have had a few serious power surges lately.
JA: Have you tried power cycling the appliance -- unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: No I have not.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

The problem with this error is there no way to determine which one is bad for certain. All you can do is check the wire connections between the MCU and CCU and make sure they are plugged in securely. If that all checks good, then replace the MCU first. That is the problem 90% of the time in my experience and sometimes if you remove the MCU and look on the back of the board you'll actually see a burn mark (not always). Either way, replace the MCU first and if the issue continues then replace the CCU and return the MCU. Most places don't allow returns for parts so I would recommend Repairclinic.com which does allow returns on control board which is a great option to have with communication issue like this one where you can't test to be certain which one is bad.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
All I have reaearched says that the ground switch or the harness are probably to blame. How can I verify these are good and that I should order the more expensivr part? Is there a site where I can get specs for the pin output
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

What you have researched is likely free internet stuff which is rarely accurate and the reason this site is not free. You are talking to someone (me) who has been trained by Whirlpool/Maytag/etc.. factory. What you read isn't accurate. As for the specs and wiring diagrams, those are inside the washer. If you remove the front panel of the washer there is a folded up booklet of paper inside a plastic bag taped to the right or left side wall inside the washer if the technician didn't remove them already.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have that booklet. It does not state the resistance that the ground swith should show. Can you advise this fact?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

There is no spec for that I'm afraid. Not written and I've never seen one cause the problem so I really wouldn't be focusing on it either.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are you familiar with an F6E1 code? No listing in the repair booklet. I see F6E2 and F6E3 but no E1 anywhere.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

Yes, I'm very familiar. I probably have seen it 100 times or more to be honest. That's why I said it's usually the MCU.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?