Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I was looking up info on our LG Refridgerator. The situation

Customer Question

Hi. I was looking up info on our LG Refridgerator. The situation is EXACTLY like what was reported 7 years ago. Noise starts when door is closed, stops when it opens. we are leaving for a few days, and the repair tech for the warranty won't contact us for 2 days (BUSINESS days). I want to make sure this is not a fire hazard.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your LG is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 2012
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Let me get the is down stairs
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Model SFZ25978SB Serial 110MRQK1R868
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your refrigerator today. The issue is not a hazard but it is something you want to fix or your unit could stop cooling. The noise is coming from the fan motor hitting ice or frost behind the back wall. There is one inside the freezer and one inside the refrigerator section so depending on which door you open to stop the noise tells you which fan is hitting ice. You will need to remove the back panel inside the refrigerator or freezer section to expose the fan and thaw any ice/frost out with a hair dryer so that the fan blade isn't rubbing on anything anymore.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I’ll be helping you today. I’m am one of the experts here on I have been factory trained and one of the best appliance technicians in the industry. We are on the honor system and we only receive credit for or time helping you if you rate our service so please do not forget to rate before you leave or experts like myself won’t be around to help in the future since we must make a living helping you by passing on our knowledge and giving our time. Give me a few minutes to review your appliance issue and write an answer for you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How do I remove the panel inside?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

The refrigerator or the freezer section?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Your model isn't pulling up exactly but you need to remove all the shelves inside and locate the center back vent panel. There are usually a few screws at the bottom and maybe near the top and then it just pulls forward and off and unclips. But it may stick due to the ice behind it so you may have to use a hair dryer to heat up the panel before it will remove.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

no problem and good luck.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?