Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Ge monogram refrigerator the door seal vacuum only stops

Customer Question

Ge monogram refrigerator the door seal vacuum only stops running when the door is open. The doors looks like they seal. The door is a little easier to open than normal so I think the vacuum might not be working. Is there a vacuum switch that tells the vacuum pump to stop?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 13 years old ZISB480DMC
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The temperature is holding just fine in both sides. Just the annoying pump running all of the time
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Good morning. So first, there is no vacuum. If the door is sealing up well enough to create a vacuum then that means that the door is actually sealing too well. What happens is that the door closes and the warm air that went inside the freezer/refrigerator condenses and creates a vacuum inside the unit so the door won't want to open.

As for the fan you hear when the door is closed, that is just the circulating fan and that should run almost constantly. The only time it will shut off is when it's in defrost mode or when the door is opened so all the cold air isn't blown out into your kitchen. If this fan is getting noisy then you would want to replace the fan motor.

As for the unit creating the vacuum suction seal, if it's preventing you from re-opening the door, tape a coffee straw segment to one of the upper corners on the door seal. That will allow just a tiny bit of air to come in through the door seal to allow the pressures to equalize better.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?