Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a whirlpool duet washer that keeps giving me a code

Customer Question

I have a whirlpool duet washer that keeps giving me a code f21 a drainage problem. Some times it works other times it doesn't.somtimes it does not drain at all. I've tried removing the hose but it's not clogged. I even removed the part below through the clean out and it also not clogged. Tried unplugging the washer and it does nothing. Please help me.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I am not paid anything until you rate my service good using the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page, the money is paid to the site not me directly.

Answer:

This is generally only a blocked pump filter or if the unit is older than 7 years a failing pump. Check the pump filter on the unit by removing the lower front access panel with a torx drover. Once that is off remove the large pump filter cap and take the filter out and see if it is blocked. If not check the wiring to the pump. If that is good just replace the pump assembly on the unit, they fail like that all the time. If it is an older Full size Duet it is part 280187

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me!.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
a bad pump would pump here and there when it wants to and give a code of f21?

Yes all the time, the impeller often breaks off the shaft then it sometimes turns enough to pump and other times not.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Checked the pump and the impeller is all intact.i tested the pump and it works. Also checked the clean out plug and it free from debris. My wif is on my case! I'm just going to junk it. I'll never buy a whirlpool washer again. I'm done.
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 4 months ago.

I would replace the pump on it as it would be crazy to throw it out over a pump code...