Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.

My Maytag MDE9700AYW that I got from my Brother in Law is

Customer Question

My Maytag MDE9700AYW that I got from my Brother in Law is not giving any heat and the interior light also does not come on. I doubt that either a bad thermistor, thermostat or block could cause these 2 issues. I am trying to find out how to get the diagnosis codes but have not yet found out how
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I am not paid anything until you rate my service good using the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page, the money is paid to the site not me directly.

Check the power supply at the terminal block on the unit where the cord connects. You should have 240 volts across the two outside terminals if you have that we can go from there.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me! are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Your answer is very poor and not something that I expected from an Expert. The only answer that could be worse would be to have asked if the unit was plugged in. Of course, it has sufficient voltage. It would be very unlikely that it would spin the drum at the normal speed and have the controls working, if there was too low voltage. I expected that you would have asked me if a Service Code was displayed. By the way, the bulb was blown and I have replaced it. I have not yet been able to run the Service or Diagnostic Codes as yet. The dryer was unbelievably dirty. It was filled with lint and dirt everywhere including the heating element and fan. I would never have expected that an appliance with so much accumulated dirt could have worked any at all. I have finished cleaning it and hope that I did reconnect the wiring properly, but I do not have a Wiring Diagram. My next step is to check the Service and Diagnostic Codes using the instructions the Service Manual which I downloaded.

OK since you have insulted me and obviously do not realize a dryer can run fine controls work fine with only half power to it shows me you have no respect for me nor my experience, I had stated to check that and get back to me...Take care and realize a dryer will run fine on 120 volts but will not heat.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Some dryers "can run fine controls work fine with only half power" but not all can or will. I do not know enough about you to have an opinion about you or your experience. I meant no insult. Take care and be more resilient, life is much too short to get upset at mere words from a stranger.