Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

The water from the washer wasn't draining. My son watched a

Customer Question

Hi, the water from the washer wasn't draining. My son watched a video about it and pulled some stuff from the drain that was blocking it. We slid it forward and cleaned behind it. We used a dolly, and so tilted it forward a little. It's still leaking a bit from the right side. How many years do these washers usually last (I'll go ask my wife how old they are...)
JA: What's the make and model of your machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Sorry, it's a whirlpool duet, front-loading washer. 16 years old, purchased in 2000
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: A Duet HT. No. Is it worth fixing? How many years should they last?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: "No" means not doing the work myself...
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I am not paid anything until you rate my service good using the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page, the money is paid to the site not me directly.

Answer:

At 16 years old I would not fix it as it is past its life expectancy and honestly you likely will not get much more time out of it.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me!.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Maybe it's fine. My son got all the water he could out with a cup. Then he took the plastic drain insert out, removed what was blocking the drain, and is cleaning the plastic drain insert. Meanwhile, it's leaking a bit, down the side of the bottom. Is this just because the drain insert is out? My guess is that we should put the insert back in and run a cycle, and see if there are leaks. Is it possible that it's fine?

Yes it is possible it will be fine and yes you should have put the insert back in then tried it, but it will likely be fine from what you have described.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
One more question. With the drain insert out, will it just keep leaking? It's leaking at the rate of about 3/4 cup per hour. I'm baffled as to how this can keep going on. Perhaps this leak always occurs and might be why our water bill is high, but usually it leaks into the drain? Or somehow when the drain insert is in, it stops? Should I turn the water off for the night?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can't. The faucets seem frozen... I'll wipe them off and hit them with some WD40. I'll try them again in 30 minutes...
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
One of the handles has a greenish buildup on the stem where it meets the valve. The other one looks okay... I put the drain cap back on (I had called it an "insert" before- I hadn't really looked at it. There's some sort of insert, but also a 3-inch diameter cap with an o-ring...) My WD 40 doesn't work any more. Like maybe the propellant leaked out. Maybe I got a few drops on it... sigh... we're traveling on Thursday- it better stop leaking... I guess I could shut off all the water to the house when we go...

You may need a part, but I would shut the water off to it if it does not stop leaking.