Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have an amana AFI2538AES refrigerator. The unit is not

Customer Question

I have an amana AFI2538AES refrigerator . The unit is not cooling. All 3 fans work. Compressor is very hot to the touch and does not vibrate. When the unit is plugged in, the compressor does not even click.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Amana is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 8 years. I gave you the model number
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Perhaps
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Computer was replaced 6 months ago. Similar problem. Coils were loaded with a blanket of dust which I removed yesterdau
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

The compressor getting so hot and not vibrating means that your compressor is overloading and cutting out. It will turn off for a few minutes and then try again over and over. Pull the refrigerator forward and unplug the refrigerator. Remove the lower back access panel and locate your large black round compressor. There is a small plastic box attached to the side of the compressor with several wires going into it. This is your overload relay. Pull the overload relay off the compressor and shake it. If it rattles, then it needs to be replaced. If it doesn't rattle, then you likely have a bad compressor and you'll need to call a technician in order to replace the compressor.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?