Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

Model MF12266AES 2008 the compressors comes on but there is

Customer Question

model MF12266AES 2008 the compressors comes on but there is no cooling. I have been told by a tech that there is a freon leak and that the refrigerator can not be repaired. It is scrap.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 5 months ago.

Hello, this is Dave and I'm happy to help you. Anything can be repaired if parts are available but the question that needs to be answered is "Is it worth repairing vs. replacing?" When the compressor runs and there is no cooling an access valve needs to be put on the system to check pressure on the low side of the system. This will determine if the problem is the compressor not pumping or if it is a leak. If it is a leak and it is found quickly where it can be repaired it will cost much less than if the leak is on the cooling coils because they are aluminum and the entire evaporator needs to be replaced. Two questions for you; Did they put a valve on the system? How much are you willing to spend to repair the refrigerator?

Are you still there? Let me know what you can so I can help you.