Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have an LG gas front loader dryer, I bypassed the door

Customer Question

I have an LG gas front loader dryer, I bypassed the door switch and with the door open the dryer works perfectly. When I close the dryer door the flame goes immediately out. Please advise
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 5 months ago.

hi it sounds like you have faulty door switch the contacts in it may be shorted I suggest replacing it first as its not expensive

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The door switch is operating correctly, I needed to run the dryer with the door open to see if it made a difference. With the door open, The flame lights for 20-40 sec intervals and the dryer heats up as it should. When I close the dryer door the flame light for 1-3 sec and goes out. If I close the door during the 20-40 sec interval the flame immediately goes out
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

There is an air flow issue. Opening the door allows the air flow to change drastically. You will need to disassemble the machine and clean out the air path, including the duct from the back of the dryer to the outside of your home.

May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It is an LG Tromm DGL5988s, Ive torn it completely apart and there is no blockage anywhere
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

Are you running it with the front off to watch the flame? It has to be completely assembled for the air flow to be proper. The only way to test it is fully assembled and testing the temperature out the back of the vent.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I tested the unit fully assembled also. The flame lights for 1-2 sec and then goes out. If I bypass door switch and leave it open dryer heats up as it should
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

That is because the air flow is changing. What is the exhaust temperature as it cycles?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Unknown, the dryer will not heat up with the door closed to get a proper reading
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

There has to be something blocking the air flow (or routing it differently) that is causing the sensor to shut off the heat. The alternative (if you are certain it is all clean inside and all air flow components in place) would be a faulty exhaust thermistor or electronic control.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's like the flame gets blown out, the gas valve continues to flow
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

The gas can't continue to come out with no flame, the entire gas valve assembly would have to be faulty, electrical and mechanical components, and all be bad.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When I tested the dryer with the front cover off; front of drum open dryer worked properly and flame would run for 20-30 sec intervals. When I covered the drum opening during those cycles the flame would immediately go out the the gas would counting to run for the 20-30 seconds with no flame
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

If that is the case, you have dangerous multiple issues and I would turn the gas off and call for professional in home service. I hope you heed that advice as it could turn in to something much different than a broken dryer.