Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a Sub-Zero Fridge 700TR 2, serial number: M2153302.

Customer Question

I have a Sub-Zero Fridge 700TR 2, serial number: M2153302. The problem is that the upper fridge is warm, having said that both lower drawers are cold. The condenser grill is clean and the condenser motor is working.
I ran a diagnostic test and I am including the results to see if you can help me.
Diagnostic test 7-2-2016
48 UE Upper Evaporator
35 LE Lower Evaporator
46 U Upper compartment
36 L Lower compartment
Temp history
38-62 Upper
26-40 Lower
56-58 UE Upper Evaporator
32-36 LE Lower Evaporator
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also if I remove the kickstand and put a desktop fan there, the temperature gets lower in the upper compartment (and the both drawers stay low).
Expert:  bruce peterson replied 5 months ago.

Your problem is the compressor due to such high numbers from the cooling system. You either have low freon and need a charge or you need a new compressor.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Bruce,
Can you explain why removing the kickstand and using a desktop fan to blow air at the condenser grill helps the upper fridge compartment to go from 54 to 38 (lower 2 drawers are at 38 with or without external desktop fan).

The evap fan for those coils is not working correctly it may be defective because that fan should always circulate the air as needed. As for the freezer it should always be 0 or lower no matter what kind of unit.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Bruce, it seems you are not familiar with the sub-zero 700TR 2, it is an all refrigerator unit. There is no freezer. The top compartment is a normal fridge and the two lower drawers are refrigerated as a normal refrigerator. I have a separate freezer unit 700TFI. The freezer is working fine.
So to rephrase my question. The condenser fan works. I can tell by the airflow. But if I only use the condenser fan. the upper compartment will be 54 and the lower 2 drawers 37. They are all set at 37. Can you explain why removing the kickstand and using a desktop fan to blow extra air at the condenser grill helps the upper fridge compartment to go from 54 to 37 (lower 2 drawers are at 37 with or without external desktop fan).

No I misunderstood your explanation. If you are more versed in the repair i will leave this question for someone of your vast knowledge.

Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

It sounds like the condenser fan may be moving too slow if placing an external fan brings the temperatures down to normal. Are the blades on the fan clean? If so, I suspect the condenser fan motor will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Kelly, The condenser fan motor was replaced a week ago. The blade is metal and clean and the condenser is clean. So it must be something else.
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Have you measured the voltage to the condenser fan motor? It has to be an issue with the condenser heat dissipation if you can place an auxiliary fan and see it cool down as designed.