Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I was just browsing to see if anyone else had streaks on

Customer Question

Hi, I was just browsing to see if anyone else had brown streaks on their clothes (t-shirt type material, usually white) after washing them in our Whirlpool front-load washer.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It was purchased new in 2011 or 12 but wasn't hooked up and used until 2013, model YWFW9050XW00, Type 832A.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: We were actually just wondering WHY this is happening, and junking it!
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Which washer would you recommend to replace it in the $800 range?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

If you're getting brown streaks, use a towel with 10% bleach/hot water mixture and wipe out the front rubber door gasket as gunk can build up in the lower bellow area in the folds. Other than that, run a cycle with a product called Washer Magic which you can pick up at Lowes or Sears and run a cycle with this product to clean out the washer. If you still get brown streaks after that, it means that your rear drum bearing is leaking grease and that is quite a major repair at about $600-700 so it may be better to replace the washer even though it's only a few year old. If you did replace it, I would recommend getting a Samsung front load washer as they tend to be the best and quietest on the market currently.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.