John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a Maytag front-load washer. Lately, I have noticed

Customer Question

I have a Maytag front-load washer. Lately, I have noticed it's ripping clothes and putting holes in them. I checked the washer to ensure there wasn't
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: anything sharp.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: It's about 5 1/2 years old. My husband replaced the bellow a couple months ago.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I can't use the rapid wash cycle on the washer, because when I do, water leaks on the floor under the washer, so I have to use the Normal cycle.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  bonzaco replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** can you give me an idea of the shape of the damage to the clothes and also the approximate diameter? I assume that you have checked inside the inner drum for sharp edges too?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The shape is anything from a hole ranging in size (1/2 in to 3 in). There are sometimes white scrape marks on clothes. Have checked inside the dryer for anything sharp.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 5 months ago.

OK if you have checked the drum for sharp edges the next thing to check is that when you replaced the door seal it was actually as tight to the inner drum as you can get it without it catching. If not you can get the clothes during the wash phase being trapped and then ripped as the appliance agitates.