Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have an Admiral Top Loading washing machine, model#

Customer Question

I have an Admiral Top Loading washing machine, model# ***** It is just over a year old and is used only 5 months of the year. I was doing a load of clothes, the machine filled up with water, shut off the water, and began the agitation cycle but as it did it made a grinding noise, but I don't think the agitator was moving. I turned it off, emptied all the water and turned it on its side to see if maybe a belt had come lose or broke. The belt is fine and when you hand turn the agitator you can see the belt turning underneath the machine. I attempted a new cycle and after the water fills, there is no more grinding noise and you can hear for a moment as if it's going to start the agitation cycle, but stops.
I have unplugged the machine to reset itself and also tried a reset procedure I found inside the machine that instructs you turn the control knob counterclockwise until you hear a click, then turn the control knob clockwise until you hear a click 3 times in 6 seconds and then turn counterclock wise again until you hear a click. After reseting I retry a load and it fills the tub with water, shuts off, you hear the motor just momentairily begin to agitate and then it stops. Its like a relay trips and stops it. In about 1 minute, it tries to start itself again but immediately stops.
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I would like to change my account to your 1 month free trial. How do I do that
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

In the diagram at the link below, number 16 is the shift actuator. Does this seem to be where the grinding noise comes from (under the machine)? Is the clicking for the main control? It sounds like the control may be having issues.