John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

Joel, the people I rang to fix it are charging $99 call out

Customer Question

Hi Joel, the people I rang to fix it are charging $99 call out fee and $25 for every 15 minutes. They say they have parts. What is you opinion as to how much it will cost (roughly)?
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
You people do not come out do you? I am on the Sunshine Coast in Qld.?
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 3 months ago.

most likely around 250 plus the parts.

no we are an online service only sorry.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That's ok. Can you give a rough estimate on parts, given it is the clutch system? Is it even worth it? Or will fixing this problem enable the machine to keep working a while. I know for a good new one it is $869 fully installed. You are saying $250 + parts. If parts are like $400, why would I bother. Can you just give me an idea on parts? Thank you.

ok the clutch kit is listed at 121.00 , but the thing is it is no longer being manufactured so I have no idea what they will charge you if they have one on hand.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Joel, they can't just "fix" the existing one can they? And the "secretary" at this place seemed to say it should be right about parts, but if that is not true, can we go them for mis-representing the truth. In other words, virtually refuse to pay call out fee.

Sure you can always refuse service, the 99.00 service fee is for them to come out and basically have a look at the unit and tell you exactly what its gonna cost to fix the unit, if they cant do that run them off because that would be a little fishy to me for them to say ugh we don't know until we are done, because they do or should.