John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

I have an LG model and the fridge is working but the freezer

Customer Question

i have an LG model and the fridge is working but the freezer just stopped freezing. The fan is still blowing air but it is not cold enough to freeze
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your LG is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 2009 or 10
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: maybe
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It has been making cracking noise coming from the ice/water section on the freezer door for some time now
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

The first thing you'll need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer. Look at the silver evaporator coils behind this panel and are they packed with frost, lightly frosted from top to bottom, some frost on top but not on bottom, no frost at all, etc... ? Also, is the fan above the coils running?