Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a 3 year old stainless steel split door fridge with

Customer Question

I have a 3 year old stainless steel split door fridge with the Freezer drawer on the bottom. Since it has been about 1 year old the freezer has leaked out water from the right hand side near the bottom of the freezer compartment. This I am assuming when it defrosts it's self. This water builds an ice sheet in the bottom of the freezer and weekly I have been breaking up the ice and cleaning it out. The ice gets to about 1/4 inch thick. I hate this! I got new flooring about 1 year ago and I hate that it is leaking out all over my new flooring. If I am not fast enough to clean out the ice build up I have water all over my new floor. I can't shut the freezer off to just eliminate the problem, my model doesn't do that. ( I have Three up right freezers, I don't even need this freezer.) My ice maker is self contained in the Fridg. There has to be a fan or some device that should evaporate this water problem. Denise Blum Waco, Ne
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

Good morning! My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your refrigerator today. You are definitely on the right track. Unfortunately this is not an easy issue to fix on these bottom freezer top refrigerators. You will want to unplug the unit for 24 hours to allow all the ice to thaw out. Once the ice is thawed out, the best way to clean the drain line is from the bottom up because going at it from the inside is really difficult. If you pull the refrigerator forward and remove the bottom access panel and locate the rubber hose which comes down directly from the middle or so of the freezer floor toward the back and use something like a turkey baster to shoot hot water up the hose. Once it's clear and you can blow air through the hose, you're good to go again. Also, if you have the ability to just unplug the refrigerator for 24 hours that'll thaw all the ice out and them you can just blow air up and clear the drain out.

Now this drain hose has been re-designed because the material on the hose would break down and the check valve inside won't allow water to flow out so below is a link to the new re-designed hose you'll want to order and replace with instructions.

CLICK HERE for drain hose

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Thank You! I will try this and get back to you. I have been fighting this problem for way to long. I will try to unplug the hose with hot water and air before ordering a new part. Thank you *****

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

No problem and good luck, but you really need to replace the part no matter what or the issue will come back. It was re-designed for this model because it has lots of problems backing up and freezing. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Tyler Z. I took my fridge apart last night. The drain system looks nothing like you described, but I cleaned out the drain the best I could. I will just have to wait and see if my clean out did the trick. The fan is working great so I don't understand why evaporation of the defrosted water doesn't happen. My freezer has no visible drain inside the freezer it self. Just a solid flat surface for the floor of the freezer. This means air must evaporate the defrost. I prefer freezers that just frost up, no messy problems till the final unplug and clean out. Thank You Denise Blum

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

Did you remove the back panel inside the freezer? Because there certainly is a drain hole the size of a dime directly in the middle below the silver coils. If you didn't clean this hole out the problem will be back. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.