Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Frost is appearing on the back wall of the freezer. Viking

Customer Question

White frost is appearing on the back wall of the freezer.
JA: What's the make and model? And have you checked the settings recently?
Customer: Viking professional series model VCBB536LSS. The beeping alarm went on this morning and the freezer was loosing temp.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I can.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 months ago.

If frost is forming on the back wall inside the freezer, it means that either the door was left cracked open or your unit isn't defrosting on it's own. You'd need to pull everything out of the freezer and remove the back panel. With a multimeter, test continuity through the defrost heater that runs along the bottom of the silver coils where all the frost is forming as well as through the defrost thermostat which is the 1" round device clipped onto the top of the silver coils. If either part does not have continuity, then replace it. If they both have continuity, use a hair dryer and thaw all the frost out and re-assemble. If the frost doesn't come back then the door was just left cracked open too long. If the frost does come back, then you need to replace the display board since that is what controls the defrost cycle.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?