Ezekiel
Ezekiel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Repair Expert
91962359

When my compactor ram has went down and then goes up to

Customer Question

when my compactor ram has went down and then goes up to complete the cycle it makes a loud noise and shakes and does not turn off. Sort of like its stuck and it wont turn off. When i pull on the door it comes open that is the only way to get it to stop or unplug it. What could be causing this?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 5 months ago.

hi I'm Ezekiel are you able to remove the top cover on the compactor

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i can remove it
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
its removed
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 5 months ago.

ok I don't have a model number but under that cover there are two metal rods that are spiral looking there are two plastic nuts that the metal rod swivels through one is usually broken or stripped so the unit will not raise to turn off or compact

Expert:  Ezekiel replied 5 months ago.

may look like this

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
when it is off and i push the foot lever to compact the trash it compacts it down but seems to get stuck and makes a loud shaking noise when it returns back up
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 5 months ago.

yes check that part it tends to crack split open or strip look for shavings

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i found them and they seem to be without cracks or shavings somewhat greasy but i find no broken parts to them
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
my model # ***** *****
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 5 months ago.

underneath the compactor is a cover it exposes the motor and gears that turn those two swivels there is gear down there is known to be plastic and teeth grind off can you check them

Expert:  Ezekiel replied 5 months ago.

you will see his down there

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I REMOVED THE BOTTOM COVER AND EXPOSED THE GEARS THERE ARE TWO PLASTIC ONES THEY ARE FINE ALONG WITH THE 2 METAL GEARS AND CHAIN
IT ALL SEEMS TO BE OK
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 5 months ago.

ok we have checked the 2 rods the hold the power nuts in place we checked underneath it the problem you are having unless the part that crushes the trash is slanted or hitting some behind the rammer the gears or the motor something is slipping there is nothing else to this unit

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
how can i check the part that crushes the trash is slanted?
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 5 months ago.

when you start the machine that top part starts to go down that's the ram after it reaches the safety switch it returns back watch it maybe you can see where its getting stuck on the way up or by the door

Expert:  Ezekiel replied 5 months ago.

those power nuts are covered by a metal cover or so they can be split in half and still be contain in position

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok ill ck
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 5 months ago.

ok

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
hey Ezekiel which way does the ram go back ? I didn't pay attention when i took it out! and don't laugh cause I'm only a girl!
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 5 months ago.

lol no problem

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
there is a metal lever at the top which side is that? front or back?
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 5 months ago.

back

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok i turned it on by pressing the button inside on the right hand wall it went down 3/4 of the way then it turned off or lost power then i unplugged it i smelled something like it was hot or burning then i heard a click i turned it back on it finished going down then went up all the way then without it making a shaking noise it just turned off so i unplugged it !?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the only good think i can think of is it didn't make that shaking noise as it got to the top !!?
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 5 months ago.

can you run it again

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 5 months ago.

that click sound was your motor tripping then it reset

Expert:  Ezekiel replied 5 months ago.

should not do that unless its strained or weak

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
when i push the button the only thing it does is makes that loud noise and shakes its still at the top it won't move down
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
what would strain it?
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 5 months ago.

motor gears that shafts having to compact going down then return

Expert:  Ezekiel replied 5 months ago.

I believe we have exhausted all options something is missing cant point it we have covered everything

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
hummmm????
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 5 months ago.

yes boggling

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm going to remove the ram and then put in back in and see what it does
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 5 months ago.

now put the back to the front and see

Expert:  Ezekiel replied 5 months ago.

I'm going to log off now we can resume in the morning or whatever time is best for you . just send me a reply when ready good night

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok thanks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i took the bottom plate off to ck if the insulation was maybe getting stuck in the chain but it wasn't - i left the bottom off
- i took the ram out then i ran it of course i couldn't tell if it would have been going up or down but wanted to ck the strain on the motor - i smelled the smell again and it didn't seem to run the whole cycle time and then it stopped. so i unplugged it.
thats where I'm leaving it until tomorrow. good nite
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 5 months ago.

hi any results on this unit