Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair

I just had renter move into a house of mine that has an

Customer Question

Hi - I just had renter move into a house of mine that has an older GE cooktop. I don't have a model number and have never used this cooktop myself. The cooktop has a knob (not a button) to lock the burners. The renters turned the lock knob and it won't unlock now. Any suggestions?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: The house was built in 1970 so I don't really know if this could in fact still be original?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not really - that's all I have to go with right now.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

Is that a gas cooktop, if so and the unit will not unlock then the gas lockout valve is bad and needs to replaced on the unit:

Cooktop Lock Out Gas Valve

Part #: WB19T10039 - click here

If its not gas let me know but I am almost sure with that lockout control that it is gas.

We are on the honor system here. Since I have given you the initial answer please rate/vote by selecting a star at the top of the screen and any follow up questions you may have will be free of charge and of course I will continue to help if needed.

Rating me will does not affect what you agreed to pay for the question and will not have any affect on what you have already been billed for unless you request a phone call.

Feel free to get back to me with any questions you may have but in the meantime I would appreciate you going ahead and rating the answer as this is the only way I get compensated for my time, thanks!

After you have rated/voted the answer you will be sent an email with a link that will allow you to get back to me for any follow up questions free of charge it will not close the question.

Please Know: I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and did not receive that money. I am just a technician on the site that is here to help assist you and have nothing to do with billing.

When you rate/vote my answer you have to click on the star vote/rate system at the top of your screen. Typing I give you a 5 star rating in a message does absolutely nothing to help me you have to click on the rating system.

Thank You!

Tips are not expected but are greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Nope - it is definitely an electric cooktop (glass).

ok then I will need you to supply the model number of the unit to be of any further assistance, thanks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Joel - the model number is *****

ok so that electric model also has a lock switch as well and it will need to be replaced. I just did not know which part number it was without the model number, so thank you for that info:

Range Lock Out Switch

Part #: WB24T10113 - click here

Hi there,
I was just getting back with you, I see the question is still open and I have not heard back from you is there something else I can help you with?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The lockout knob was damaged/wore out which didn't allow the knob to be pushed down to turn. I pulled the knob off so I could push the inside stem down and turn it to unlock.

ya that kind of stuff is just things you have to put your eyeballs on hard to tell you the knob is bad without looking at it, glad you got it taken care of you can order a new know here, its part number WB03T10272 - click here

please remember to rate the answer by clicking on the star rating system at the top of the page before you leave today, thanks.