Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair

I have a Subzero built-in freezer which is showing

Customer Question

Good morning. I have a Subzero built-in freezer which is showing "EC" and "Service". It showed the same thing a couple of weeks ago. At that time I took off the bottom plate and cleaned the screen which was pretty dirty and it started working fine again. It is now showing the same messages. I have checked the screen and it is clean. What should I do next?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

There should be some numbers flashing along with the EC can you tell me what they are, thanks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
40 is flashing along with the EC code

ok thanks for that give me just a moment.

ok that means that the computer is saying that the compressor has ran too long, what is the temperature of the freezer?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It started at 6 and climbed quickly to 9 with the door open

Ok so watch the temperatures in the freezer for the next day or so, there are several things that could be going on to make the compressor run too long.

1. The thermostat is bad and its getting colder than it should and its not cycling on and off properly in which case the unit will get super cold and you will notice.

2. The defrost system is not operating and there is ice building up on the evaporator not allowing the fan to properly circulate the air throughout the unit. In which case you will notice the temps begin to increase over time and also ice buildup on the back wall of the unit.

3. The fan in freezer is not running to circulate air in the unit. You will notice a temperature increase and also you would most likely notice the fan is not running inside the unit.

4. The sealed system has developed a freon leak, in which case you will notice a gradual temperature increase in a short amount of time until at some point it no longer cools at all.

So short of having a tech come out and pin point it now, you will have to wait and see what the unit does over the next few days.

In the meantime:

We are on the honor system here. Since I have given you the initial answer please rate/vote by selecting a star at the top of the screen and any follow up questions you may have will be free of charge and of course I will continue to help if needed.

Rating me will does not affect what you agreed to pay for the question and will not have any affect on what you have already been billed for unless you request a phone call.

Feel free to get back to me with any questions you may have but in the meantime I would appreciate you going ahead and rating the answer as this is the only way I get compensated for my time, thanks!

After you have rated/voted the answer you will be sent an email with a link that will allow you to get back to me for any follow up questions free of charge it will not close the question.

Please Know: I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and did not receive that money. I am just a technician on the site that is here to help assist you and have nothing to do with billing.

When you rate/vote my answer you have to click on the star vote/rate system at the top of your screen. Typing I give you a 5 star rating in a message does absolutely nothing to help me you have to click on the rating system.

Thank You!

Tips are not expected but are greatly appreciated.

Hi there,
I was just getting back with you, I see the question is still open and I have not heard back from you is there something else I can help you with?