John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I purchased & installed a freezer door (plastic flapper) in

Customer Question

I purchased & installed a freezer door (plastic flapper) in my RV Dometic refrigerator.
The hinges appear to be good with springs intact, but the door does not spring closed.
How can the springs be wound or engaged to work on the door normally.
Regards, Jay
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon Jay. My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your refrigerator. Can you take a picture of the flap you replaced and the hinge with the spring so I can see how your unit should work? There is a paper clip button above the text box you can click on to attach a picture so I can see these pictures.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Attached is photo of old door. The new door covers the spring hinge that inserts in the "cross".

OK I see the picture of the old door but can you please take a picture of the new door and spring hinge please?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The RV is not here. Cannot take a picture today.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If you are not familiar with the freezer/door hinge, let's end the conversation at $5. Jay

No one said I wasn't familiar with it but I certainly can't show you how it's supposed to be assembled without a picture to draw on. Have a nice day.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
See the previous reply. Only a $5 charge was authorized. Please remove the $23 charge to my VISA or I will dispute the charge. The service was not completed, since an answer to the problem was not found. Regards, Jay
Expert:  bonzaco replied 10 months ago.

Do you require further assistance, if so could I have the model number of you appliance.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Model# ***** Are you working under the original charge?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Freezer door part#(###) ###-#### If you have a direct email, I can send the Dometic parts manual.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 10 months ago.

Thats OK I have it do you have both return springs item 17 & 18 ?? Regarding the charge, no charge is actually taken until you rate the information given. A retaining deposit is held but is fully refundable if you are not satisfied with the help given - Ian

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the original springs work when twisted without the flapper door installed. When the door is installed by depressing the spring units, the molded hinges snaps in place. Opening the door should twist the hinge springs, but the return tension does not happen. The door just hangs open. Jay
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Since you have not responded, I am cancelling this transaction. A satisfactory answer has not been received, so refund the $23 retaining deposit. Regards, Jay