Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My stand up freezer was defrosted 12 hrs ago. It is down to

Customer Question

My stand up freezer was defrosted 12 hrs ago. It is down to 8 degrees is there hope for this old thing
JA: What's the make and model? And have you checked the settings recently?
Customer: Signature 2ooo and it is set on the hight setting. The compressor is still running and we just totally defrosted the thing 12hrs ago. It is about half full
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I don't know I was just wondering how long it should take for it to get down to 0
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No just how long should it take for it to get back to 0 after defrosting
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

I'd give the unit 24 hours to try to get down to temperature. If it still won't get down to temperature even after defrosting and it's constantly running to try to get colder, then you have a big problem with either a freon leak or an inefficient compressor. If you had a bad thermostat then the refrigerator would be turning off like it thinks it has reached the temperature even though it really hasn't. Since it's running constantly, you'll want to give it more time and see how it evens out in temperature and if it won't get cold enough it's probably time for a new freezer because even a freon leak is about $450 to have repaired. A new compressor would be about $650.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?