Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Can you help? I have water coming out beneath the fridge

Customer Question

Hi Can you help?
I have water coming out beneath the fridge freezer. The unit has been defrosted and everything looks OK but if the water continues it freezes up and we have to repeat the process. How do I stop the water? It seems to be coming out from the Freezer section through slots at the back of the freezer and probably running under the door.
Samsung side by side Fridge freezer. Model RS ZONCSW S/N 901542BW700217P
Await your reply
Paul Heather
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

This is a very common issue and it means that your defrost drain line has frozen over and will need to be thawed out. This often times happens for no reason at all and is just random. You will need to remove everything out of your freezer and remove the back panel inside the freezer. Use a hair dryer to thaw all the ice out and locate the drain hole. Pour hot water down the drain hole until it's draining properly again. Once it's draining properly blow compressed air down to make sure it's clear. If you don't have compressed air, use a turkey baster to make sure the drain line is clear and draining properly. Cut a solid copper piece of wire about 6 inches long. Wrap it around the defrost heater a couple times just above the drain hole and extend it 2 inches into the defrost drain hole. That will transfer heat into the drain hole when the defrost heater turns on and will prevent the defrost drain line from freezing over in the future.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can I try it first which will be tomorrow or Thursday
Paul heather
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Sure thing as long as you remember to come back and rate me then I have no problem with that.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Thanks your advice.. However it is proving difficult to apply. I took the back off the inside of the freeze. There was much ice at the bottom which I cleared. This revealed 3 small slots which were iced up which I presumed are the drain holes. I used the hair drier that cleared the ice but the water did not escape and will not drain. The drain does not go down but 90 deg right. From the back of the freezer you cannot see anything. There is a vertical plastic shaft but no sign that it is a drain. There are no holes beneath the fridge that I can is all concealed. If I switch on now it will freeze up again. Do you have any ideas or plans of the model that illustrate the draining system?. ps I am in South Africa 80 miles from a Samsung agent. phoning is not an option. Wait to hear from you. Regards ***** *****
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

You'll want to shoot hot water down the hole with a turkey baster to make sure it's clear or leave it unplugged for 24 hours to be certain it has thawed out all the ice. Then blow compressed air down through the hole to clear any gunk that has built up inside the hose.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?