Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I moved into a home that has a whirlpool accubake double

Customer Question

hi I moved into a home that has a whirlpool accubake double oven and the top oven is locked
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: how do I unlock it
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I need to know how to unlock the upper oven - I can use upper or lower there is an error E7 F5
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

Good afternoon. E7 F5 means that your door latch assembly has failed and needs to be replaced

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can't even use the lower oven
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

You can not unfortunately. If the oven is locked, it's not sure if you were using self clean or not but it doesn't want the oven to overheat so you need to replace the latch before you can use either oven.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
how do I unlock the upper oven
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't even know how to attempt to unlock it - maybe it will unlock if you can tell me how
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

It's not easy to manually unlock the door. You'll need to use a coat hanger and pull the latch assembly from RIGHT to LEFT by slipping it down between the door and the oven frame at the top. Force the latch over to the left and open the door, then you can remove the panel in front of the door latch and replace the latch assembly.

Now I do want to also add that you may need something stronger than a coat hanger to manually open the door. If you have an "L-shaped" tool like a cotter pin puller or allen wrench, that might give you the added strength to be able to pull on the latch and release it.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
if the oven is locked you have to use a coat hanger to unlock it??? what year is this lol
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
there's not a combination of buttons to push to unlock the oven
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

That is correct. The latch is broken that is what the error is telling you. You must use a coat hanger or something else to manually unlock the door.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
how do you lock it -
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
when I press lower oven the display says "hot"
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

You can't. You need to fix the broken latch first. I don't understand the confusion. You can't use your oven like normal until the faulty latch is replaced it's that simple. I have told you how to manually unlock the door so until you do that and replace the latch you can not do anything else.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok thanks this wasn't much help at all
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
why would the door be locked to begin with
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

I can't control what fails on your oven. I can only tell you what needs to be done to fix the problem. You're focusing too much on ways around fixing the problem or why it's acting the way it is. None of that matters. it's acting this way because the latch failed. That's why the latch is locked---because it failed. It won't let you use the oven---because the latch failed. The answer to all your added questions are---the latch has failed and you need to replace it.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I resolved the issue myself. In the future if someone has this issue please tell them to reset the oven as the first troubleshooting step. Save them from installing a new door latch
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

Have a nice day.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I knew there had to be some trounleshooting steps to take. I will be cancelling my service as it was no help at all would have just cost me unnecessary money
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

good day.