Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Refrigerator motor has been noisy and today the motor is not

Customer Question

Refrigerator motor has been noisy and today the motor is not running and refrigerator temperature light is flashing
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 months ago.

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your refrigerator today. Typically this loud fan motor noise means that your fan blade is either hitting some frost/ice build up, or the fan motor is just going back. You'd need to remove the access panel inside the refrigerator (if the noise is in the refrigerator section) to expose the fan motor. If there is ice build up hitting the fan blade, use a hair dryer to thaw it all out. If there is nothing hitting the fan blade, then replace the fan motor.

Also, if the silver evaporator coils below the fan blade are completely packed with frost then look at the trough below the coils. If it's backed up with ice, then you need to thaw out the trough because the drain line is frozen over and not allowing the defrost water to drain which causes excess moisture inside the refrigerator. On the other hand if the coils are packed with frost and the trough is not filled with ice, then just thaw all the ice on the silver coils and replace the 2 sensor clipped onto the top and side of the silver coils because it's not controlling the defrost cycle properly and these 2 parts are what control the defrost cycle.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?