John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

I have an LG Front Loader and I experienced yesterday when

Customer Question

I have an LG Front Loader and I experienced yesterday when the cycle was done it did not unlock.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your LG is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 8 yrs, maybe.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: LG TROMM, Ultra Capacity, WM2077CW
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I got it unlocked yesterday because I have worked on it before on a different issue. BUT I haven't done any laundry since getting it unlocked yesterday so I just want to see what to expect if it does happen again.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  bonzaco replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** can you tell me how you overcame the problem yesterday just so I can see what has been done?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Well since I have replaced the Boot Gasket in the past I unplugged the unit and opened it up and physically unplugged the locking mechanism part and then replugged it back in and powered it on before closing it up to ensure it had disengaged before closing it back up.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 3 months ago.

Please dont think I am being rude here but are you 100% sure that you replugged the interlock (locking mechanism) in the right way around. If you didn't it will cause the lock to be permanently engaged. If it is correctly connected you need to check for power at the cable connectors to establish if the main pcb is supplying power to the interlock when not required or if you have a faulty interlock.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
when I replaced the boot gasket (in 2015) I took pictures before unplugging it so I wouldn't plug it in wrong when putting it back together. And we've run a ton of loads since and this is the first time it's stayed locked after load is done since 2015.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 3 months ago.

OK old engineers trick - spray WD40 into the door latch hole, then set a program and hit start press the slider with a pencil or screwdriver and see if the interlock energizes. If it does the appliance should start a program. Once it starts cancel the program leave it for about 5 minutes and see if by rattling the screwdriver the interlock de-energizes and then come back to me with the results.