bruce peterson
bruce peterson,
Experience:  appliance technician at Peterson Appliance Repair
88840966

We have a Maytag side by side MSD2652KES refrigerator that

Customer Question

We have a Maytag side by side MSD2652KES refrigerator that when we woke up this morning appeared to have stopped the cooling process. freezer foods thawing out; power working. so far we have cleaned coils and need help in what next step to troubleshoot. thanks!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  bruce peterson replied 8 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your problem today.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi hoping you can help us

I am sending you a service manual and go to page 12 we will start there. I need to know if you have tools and a voltage meter?

Here is manual

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
we have tools and a voltage meter; he's getting htem I'll open the pdf file thanks
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok i just printed manual page 12; taking laptop back into the kitchen

You need to first pull it out from the wall so you can access the rear lower panel

Then unplug it from the wall until its time to plug back in

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok it's pulled out and he is unplugging it now

Check to see how hot the compressor is be careful it could be very hot and cause burn

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
compressor is hot

If you have a laser temp gun use it to tell temp but if not then lets give it a few minutes to cool off. I am gonna send another sheet so you can test some of the pieces to the compressor.

Go to page 5 on service manual so we can test the capacitor. Be careful touching capacitor because it can still be charged with voltage you only want to tocuh it with the volt meter. But you need to pull the leads off of it first but one at a time and dont touch anything else metal with your other hand or you will ground out and get zapped

I can offer you phone assistance for this and it will make it much easier due to the steps that need to be done correctly

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Mark wants to know that it was mentioned while doing research there was a second fan not the evaporator fan but the condensor fan (or vice versa) he's wondering where the fan in the freezer is on this model so he can test to see if that's working first while i try to print the pages

That is the evaporator fan and it wouldnt stop the compressor from working. You can do a simple test to see if it is working by plugging unit back in and open freezer door then push in on door switch the white piece on inside of door crease

Also the condensor fan should come on when you plug in to wall. If the condensor fan doesnt come on at all then you have a power issue

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
is the condensor the one in the back next to the compressor? also when we plugged it back in, opened freezer door, and pushed in the toggle switch it just turned the light on and off; we hear a fan going whether the light is on or off

I need you to follow my trouble shooting steps or it will get confusing and your not gonna figure anything out.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
having an issue printing; mark wants to know where capacitor is located thanks

Yes the condensor fan is the one down next to compressor and it should be on once you plug it in. The evap fan will speed up when you push in on the door switch but you need to hold it down for a few minutes and if it is runnning then its ok.

I suggest you use the phone support due to the danger of doing something wrong and arbitrarily testing parts.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok txs

Did you have any questions

The start relay needs to be checked. You need to take it off the compressor and shake and if it rattles then you need to change it. The start relay is the large white piece or black piece that is attached on the side of compressor.