Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair

Digital side by side GE fridge stainless steel. refrigerator

Customer Question

digital side by side GE fridge stainless steel. refrigerator stops cooling then turn it off then turn back on next day and runs fine for a few days then it warms again. while it is warm you can still hear it running but not cooling.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.
Please provide me with the model number of the unit you are needing help with so that I can give you model specific information, as soon as I get that information I will get your answer prepared as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't have it in front of me right now til tonight

ok no problem I can tell without the model number it sounds like you have a defrost issue, every 8-12 hours the unit goes into defrost to melt the ice off the evaporator in the freezer and when that does not happen due to a failed component in the defrost system the ice builds up on the evaporator. When that happens the fan can no longer pull the air over the coils so it can't properly circulate the air to the refrigerator section of the unit. Look on the back wall of the freezer and tell me if you can see ice built up on the back wall if so it has a defrost issue. The reason it works right after unplugging it is because the ice melts off the evaporator and works right until it freezes back up, so I am pretty certain that is the problem. You will need a meter for testing purposes to figure out what component has failed. Here is a video that shows how to trouble shoot the defrost system on that unit: click here for video

We are on the honor system here. Since I have given you the initial answer please rate/vote by selecting a star at the top of the screen and any follow up questions you may have will be free of charge and of course I will continue to help if needed.

Rating me will does not affect what you agreed to pay for the question and will not have any affect on what you have already been billed for unless you request a phone call.

Feel free to get back to me with any questions you may have but in the meantime I would appreciate you going ahead and rating the answer as this is the only way I get compensated for my time, thanks!

After you have rated/voted the answer you will be sent an email with a link that will allow you to get back to me for any follow up questions free of charge it will not close the question.

Please Know: I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and did not receive that money. I am just a technician on the site that is here to help assist you and have nothing to do with billing.

When you rate/vote my answer you have to click on the star vote/rate system at the top of your screen. Typing I give you a 5 star rating in a message does absolutely nothing to help me you have to click on the rating system.

Thank You!

Tips are not expected but are greatly appreciated.